The Scripps National Spelling Bee is going on this week, and those kids are amazing. Meanwhile, perfectly educated adults across the United States can’t figure out how to spell the word beautiful.
Google released a state-by-state analysis of the most difficult words to spell, based on spelling searches. Not surprisingly, words like pneumonia, vacuum, tomorrow and banana made the list. What is shocking, however, is that the most searched for word across the country was “beautiful.” Searches for how to spell beautiful got the top spot in five states: California, Kentucky, Minnesota, New York, and Ohio.
More results ... The good people of Wisconsin should probably look into some basic spelling classes … because their most searched for word was … wait for it … Wisconsin. And something is definitely in the water in New Hampshire … because a lot of people there want to know how to spell diarrhea. (Newser)
- Chihuahua: Arkansas and South Carolina
- Beautiful: This was the most vexing word in five states—California, Kentucky, Minnesota, New York, and Ohio.
- Pneumonia: This tripped up people in four states—Alabama, Maine, Michigan, and Washington.
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: West Virginia and Connecticut struggle with this fake Mary Poppins word.
- Banana: New Mexico
- Gray: Georgia
- College: South Dakota
- Hallelujah: Delaware and Indiana
- Liar: Rhode Island
- People: Hawaii