These are some common texting codes that are being used by the teens!!
- 73% of teens have access to a smartphone.
- 71% have more than one social media account.
- Text codes and teen lingo are constantly changing and parents have resources to stay informed.
Admit it parents, sometimes we think that we are WAY MORE in touch than we actually are when it comes to teen speak. You may have ‘LOL’ and ‘BRB’ down pat, but looking deeper into your teen’s text messages and social media posts may leave your head spinning.
While most texting codes are completely innocent, some child safety experts warn that there can more than meets the eye. Some lingo might double as code for suicidal thoughts, bullying, sex and drugs.
'Bark' is an online safety platform that analyzes 10-million teen messages per month across text, email, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube. Here’s a current list of the top “sneaky” terms that teens use – see how many you know:
- 53X = sneaky way to type "sex"
- KMS = kill myself
- LH6 = let’s have sex
- CD9 = code 9, parents around
- GNOC = get naked on camera.
- WTTP = want to trade photos?
- LMIRL = let’s meet in real life
- IWSN = I want sex now
- PAL= parents are listening
- TWD = texting while driving
- GYPO = get your pants off
Experts agree that awareness is key in the constantly evolving world of teen lingo. They suggest checking websites like Netlingo to stay up to date.