People joke all the time about being addicted to their smartphones, but some people really do have a problem. It’s not productive or healthy to be so obsessed with your devices. When it gets to the point that you can’t go 20 minutes without checking your phone, or sleep with it under the pillow, it’s intervention time.
There are actual digital detox retreats, where you can go tech-free and work on your personal wellness, but that seems a little extreme. So here’s a weeklong plan to help you break your habit that’s practical and effective. And remember, admitting you have a problem is the first step.
- Monday - Unfollow everyone who isn’t your real friend, delete the apps you don’t use, and unsubscribe from all those email lists you never read anyway.
- Tuesday - Turn off push notifications.
- Wednesday - Fight the urge to look at your phone first thing in the morning.
- Thursday - Move your charging station to somewhere outside your bedroom and stop looking at your phone an hour before you go to bed.
- Friday - When you go out to dinner, leave your phone at home. Too much for you? At least don’t put it on the table at the restaurant.
- Saturday - Don’t post or look at social media all day. It sounds impossible, but you can do it!
- Sunday - Leave your smartphone off all day long. It’s only one day, you got this!