While many have suspected friction between the President and the Secretary of State for months, no one guessed Tillerson would get his walking papers like this.
Some may have seen it coming, some may not have – but no one would have expected that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would get fired via Twitter. President Trump took to Twitter yesterday morning to tell the world that Secretary Tillerson was getting pink slipped. And apparently, he called to advise Tillerson of the development hours after.
“Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State,” Trump wrote. “He will do a fantastic job! Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen.”
The move isn’t completely a shock, given Tillerson’s tense relationship with the Trump White House. He reportedly called the President a "moron" last year in a meeting with some other officials at the Pentagon – and declined to deny it. When asked about the situation outside the White House, Trump noted some disagreements. He also called Tillerson “a good man” and wished him well. His tenure officially ends on March 31st.
- For his part, Tillerson is looking ahead. Speaking at the State Department, Tillerson stressed that he is focused on an orderly and smooth transition – and that he will return to life as a private citizen. He took no questions and did not thank the President. Still, he heaped praise on the men and women of the U.S. diplomatic corps and military. Tillerson has tapped Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan to take the helm until a new secretary is confirmed by the Senate. You can read Secretary Tillerson’s full remarks HERE.
- As for CIA Director Mike Pompeo [[pom-PAY-oh]], Mr. Trump says he and Pompeo are on the "same wavelength." He also called Pompeo a man of great intellect and energy.
- Meantime, Trump has chosen Gina Haspel [[HASS-pell]] to replace Pompeo. If confirmed by the Senate, she would be the first female director of the CIA. Haspel is a veteran CIA operative who currently serves as the deputy director of the agency. But her promotion is not without controversy. Haspel once managed a secret CIA prison in Thailand. The so-called “black site” is where a Senate report in 2014 concluded a suspected al Qaeda member was waterboarded 83 times in one month, sleep deprived, and at one point feared dead.
- What’s the reaction to all this across the aisle? Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer says he’s interested to hear what Pompeo has to say during his confirmation hearings next month. Schumer said he was disappointed in Tillerson's performance, but thought the way President Trump chose to fire him was another example of the chaos in the White House. Schumer said that chaos is causing real trouble in the United States and other parts of the world. He also said he hopes Pompeo will force Trump to take a tougher stance on Russia.
Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump
Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job! Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!7:44 AM - Mar 13, 2018
Source: White House
“Consumer Reports” reveals their annual list of the worst car brands
Shopping for a car can be exciting, and also a little nerve wracking, especially because you don’t want to shell out tens of thousands of dollars on an unreliable vehicle. Well, if you’re in the market for a new set of wheels, “Consumer Reports" is here to make sure you don’t by a Lemon.
The magazine has come out with their annual list of the best and worst car brands out there, and based on the report you’re going to want to stay far away from Fiat. The car brand gets a score of just 39 out of 100, which keeps them at the bottom of the barrel just like last year. Fiat is so bad they score a full nine points less than Jeep, which is in second place, with a 48. According to the mag, Fiat earns its low scores because it isn’t reliable, it doesn’t drive well, it’s cramped and more.
“Consumer Reports” Ten Worst Car Brands
- Land Rover
- Alfa Romeo
So, what car should you be getting if you want reliability? Well, topping the list this year is Hyundai's new Genesis luxury division, with a score of 81.
"Consumer Reports" Ten Best Car Brands
Source: USA Today
SORRY Ft. Smith
The annual “Gallup-Healthways State of American Well-Being: 2016 Community Rankings” has just come out and for the third year in a row it's named Naples, Florida and the surrounding areas of Immokalee and Marco Island the happiest and healthiest place to live in the U.S. It marks the first time an area has topped the list for three consecutive years since the poll began.
The rankings were determined by questioning residents in 185 cities about their physical health, social ties, financial security, community and sense of purpose. Naples earned high marks in al five areas, with residents reporting good health, while enjoying warm relationships, a sense of safety and good financial health, along with very little depression and stress.
And it’s pretty apparent that there are certain parts of the country where happiness and health is more prevalent, considering five states - California, Florida, Colorado, North Carolina and Virginia. - account for 17 of the top 25 spots on the list.
Ten Happiest & Healthiest Communities In The U.S.
- Naples–Immokalee–Marco Island, Florida
- Barnstable Town, Massachusetts
- Boulder, Colorado
- Santa Cruz–Watsonville, California
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Lynchburg, Virginia
- North Port–Sarasota–Bradenton, Florida
- Santa Rosa, California
- Prescott, Arizona
- San Luis Obispo–Paso Robles–Arroyo Grande, California
And just like last year Fort Smith, on the boarder of Arkansas and Oklahoma, ranked dead last on the report, mostly because of their health issues, with the area having some of the highest smoking and obesity rates in the country.
Ten Unhappiest & Unhealthiest Communities In The U.S.
- Fort Smith, Arkansas–Oklahoma
- Canton–Massillon, Ohio
- Gulfport–Biloxi–Pascagoula, Mississippi
- Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton, North Carolina
- Binghamton, New York
- South Bend–Mishawaka, Indiana–Michigan
- Erie, Pennsylvania
- Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Rockford, Illinois
- Flint, Michigan