Pro tips for over-40 folks looking for love with dating apps.
Having trouble navigating the digital dating world? According to Joanna Coles, Chief Content Officer of Hearst Magazines, who literally wrote a book on it, “Love Rules: How to Find A Real Relationship in the Digital World,” it’s like driving a car - in that you have to know the rules and how to signal to others what you want to do. And the more you do it, the better you get.
Coles also says online dating is kind of like Costco, there are so many options, you just need to know where to find what you’re looking for. More folks in the over-40 set are using dating apps and sites now and Coles knows it’s easy to get overwhelmed, so here’s her advice for making meaningful connections in the digital dating world as a 40-something.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket - Online dating is just a tool, so don’t stop going out and meeting folks in real life just because you joined Bumble.
- Take it offline as soon as possible - Coles research for her book shows people keep talking online too long before meeting in real life, only to find they’re not a match in real life. “My strongest piece of advice is do not waste your time in a lengthy text, flirty exchange with someone, which people often do,” she explains, “because it may turn out that you are connecting with someone online, and you have nothing in common at all.”
- Do date night right - Coles advises having your first date be something you do together, like a wine tasting, taking a walk, or seeing a play, instead of just sitting across from each other trying to assess if you like each other.
- Don’t press fast-forward - Texting or talking on the phone can give you a false sense of familiarity, but you need to really spend time in person to get to know each other over time.
- Set realistic expectations - Dating apps are just tools to help you meet new people, so let them do that and remember, dating is supposed to be fun.
Source: NBC News