Here are some of the top landmarks in the USA and overseas.
When planning a vacation to certain destinations, there will always be landmarks you just have to see, regardless of how packed they will be with other tourists. Of course, there are some that are more worthy of dealing with throngs of people than others, and TripAdvisor may help you determine which ones you just can't miss.
In case you missed it, the travel site recently came out with their Travelers' Choice awards for Landmarks, picking winners based on an algorithm that takes into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period. Overall, this year’s awards recognized 759 landmarks across 68 countries and eight regions across the globe.
- In the U.S. specifically, the top landmark is Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, California. As one reviewer noted, “A visit to Alcatraz is a must when visiting San Francisco. For the history of the prison and famous escapes, of course, but also for the island itself and its beautiful gardens and view on the city.” San Fran also landed the second landmark on the list, the Golden Gate Bridge, while New York lands four landmarks in the Top Ten – Grand Central Terminal, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.
TripAdvisor’s Top 10 U.S. Landmarks
- Alcatraz Island - San Francisco, CA
- Golden Gate Bridge – San Francisco, CA
- Lincoln Memorial – Washington, DC
- Grand Central Terminal – New York, NY
- USS Arizona Memorial – Honolulu, HI
- Empire State Building - New York, NY
- Statue of Liberty – New York, NY
- Brooklyn Bridge – New York, NY
- Biltmore Estate – Asheville, NC
- Cloud Gate – Chicago, IL
- As for international landmarks, Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia tops the list, followed by the Plaza de Espania in Seville Spain.
TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Landmarks of the World
- Angkor Wat – Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Plaza de Espana – Seville, Spain
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- St. Peter's Basilica – Vatican City, Italy
- Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba – Cordoba, Spain
- Taj Mahal – Agra, India
- Duomo di Milano – Milan, Italy
- Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California
- Golden Gate Bridge – San Francisco, California
- Parliament – Budapest, Hungary