No one’s perfect or has everything “together” 100% of the time, but if your partner is bad with money, that’s something that could definitely affect your life as a couple. Being in a relationship is hard enough, but if your S.O. can’t handle their finances, you should know. Money issues are one of the biggest reasons people break up and here are some signs your partner may not be financially savvy and you might need to talk.
- They never have money at the end of the month - We’ve all lived paycheck to paycheck before when we hit a rough patch, but if your partner spends a lot and is always out of money it’s a red flag they don’t care about managing money.
- They always pay with a credit card - If they’re using a credit card responsibly, like they use it to earn points or cash back and pay it off monthly, that’s fine. But if they charge every little thing and pay a lot of high interest on it all, that’s being financially irresponsible.
- They don’t have any kind of savings - It’s hard to save when you’re doing that paycheck to paycheck thing, but there’s a difference between someone who can’t save right now and someone who doesn’t want to. And if your partner doesn’t think it’s important to save at least some money, that could become an issue down the road.
- They have a lot of debt and they’re not dealing with it - With college loans, car payments, and credit cards, lots of people have debt, but if your S.O. is continuing to rack up credit card bills by spending on luxuries and not paying anything down, that’s a warning sign.
- They don’t know how much they make - It’s hard for some of us to imagine, but there are people out there who don’t even know how much money they earn, so they’re clueless about their cash flow and more likely to overspend.
- They rely too much on their parents - It’s great if your parents can help you out when times are tough financially, but if you notice your partner’s family always coming to their rescue and they don’t seem to want to learn to stand on their own two feet, that’s a red flag.
- They constantly ask you to pay - When you’re with someone, you take turns paying for things, but when your sweetie always expects you to get the bill, it could be a sign of bigger issues down the road. If they’re in a tight spot, that’s one thing, but if it’s a huge problem from day one, consider yourself warned.