Pro tips from an online dating expert.
Creating an online dating profile is pretty easy, but actually meeting people there can be trickier than in real life. When we meet someone in person, we can read body language, hear the tone of their voice, and get a feel for their energy, but matchmaker and online dating expert Carmelia Ray points out that with dating online, it’s easy to make the wrong assumptions. She says choosing your words carefully and the timing of your response is important and since you only get one chance to make a great impression, here’s her advice.
The five rules to follow for online dating:
- Keep it light - Use positive language and a friendly tone in messages.
- Show interest based on what you see - Asking questions can keep conversation flowing, try mentioning something you saw and liked on their profile to build common ground.
- Act like an ace reporter - Asking follow-up questions can show a genuine curiosity about who they are.
- Be understanding of a person's outside life - Try not to take it personally if someone doesn’t message you back right away. Don’t assume they’re not interested, they may just be busy.
- Be careful when using sarcasm to get their attention - They might not get your tone and it could turn them off.
The five behaviors to avoid:
- Don't be too eager - If you sent a message and they didn’t respond, don’t send another message the same day. Online daters may be in the habit of ghosting, so shake it off and move on.
- Don't get mad - No angry messages if someone doesn’t reply right away.
- Don't overstep boundaries - Never, ever send an unsolicited sexy photo, people.
- Don't use pet names - Hold off on calling someone baby, honey, or sexy while you’re just getting ot know them.
- Avoid mentioning how attracted you are to someone's specific body part - If you want to compliment them, choose something other than looks, like style or personality.