You can talk about your friends' pets and their recent vacations!
DO NOT TALK POLITICS!!!
Now that we’re in our 20s, we’re stepping away from the ragers in our parents’ basements and door rooms and into the world of intimate dinner parties. There aren’t THAT many people we want to see at once anyway, so a dinner party is the perfect way to catch up with the friends you actually want some QT with.
Here are some conversation starters for your dinner party:
- Lead with dinner – Talk about what you’re making and where you got the recipe. People might want to take notes for their own parties.
- Beef up your introductions – When you’re introducing your friends to each other, make sure you’re doing them justice in your intro to give them some common ground with strangers.
- Bring up your pets – People love talking about themselves, but what do they love more? Their furry friends. The photos will be flowing if you bring up each other’s pups.
- Books – Talk about what books you’ve been reading recently. You never know when you might strike up a conversation with a fan.
- Trips – If you’re gearing up for some kind of break or vacation, make sure you talk about it. People want to know where you’re going and what exciting things you’re embarking on!
Having a dinner party with people who don’t necessarily all know each other can be super anxiety-inducing. But there’s nothing like a little small talk to really get the conversation flowing. And let’s be real – you could just resort to talking politics and then everyone would be fired up quick!