After trying our hand at online dating for years now, a lot of us can’t help but believe that we’ve only wasted hours – maybe days – of our time. Between the time spent swiping and the time spent on terrible dates, there are so many minutes we simply will never get back. Here are some tips to keep your online dating habits efficient and worth it:
- Know which app you like best so you don’t have to bother with the others.
- Don’t rely on the chemistry you feel online. You never know what happens when you actually meet in person.
- Request a video chat before you meet up so you know if it’s worth leaving your house and spending time getting ready for.
- To cut back on small talk, use one of the “New York Times” 36 questions to get to know someone.
- Don’t make quick judgments about profiles – find someone you actually would like to meet.
- Do your research and look your date up online to see what else you can learn about them.
- Ask to meet up IRL early on so you don’t waste time on messaging apps.
- Pick a go-to spot close by any time you want to get a quick meetup over with.
- Be clear about what you’re looking for before you waste time on people who want something different.
Online dating is a long and tedious process no matter how you cut it. But if you’re tired of leaving your love life up to IRL meetings, it’s time to use a little online dating elbow grease and get yourself some real, worthwhile matches. And seriously…most people have FaceTime. Use it.